Grapical User Interfaces
- Use GUI's when there is a large volume of data and
lots of user interaction and a web interface is
- Make graphical interfaces after the library API and CLI interfaces are
developed and working. GUI's can be very difficult to get working right.
- Keep the GUI program code separate from the
- GUI tool sets are all in heavy development and change rapidly so
a GUI may have to be rewritten many times while the library
underneath may stay the same.
- There are many toolkits to choose from. All have different
strengths and weaknesses.
- Look for cross-platform tools since Mac OS X, Linux and other UNIX's are
popular in Biotech in addition to Microsoft Windows
- Cross platform GUI toolkits